Saturday, October 11, 2008

Why settle for less when you know you deserve better?

Rationality is a commitment to the facts — an inviolable willingness to face reality, no matter how painful, frightening, or unpleasant the truth may be in a specific case. And rationality means never placing any consideration above one’s honest grasp of the facts.

I just finished reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. And even though it's a pretty hefty read I have to admit it held my attention for the most part, though not as intently as Leo Tolstoy's War & Peace held me in its grasp. At the very root of the plot lies Mrs. Rand's basis for Objectivism which is the philosophy that preaches in essence, the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute. -Her words not mine.

Hmmmmm.... I have to admit that the thought sounds intriguing, if even a bit selfish. My mama used to always say that she knew with certainity that I deserved to be happy which I think lies at the very foundation of Ayn Rand's Objectivism. She believed that the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interest.

Amen to that. I'm on my objectivism ish these days...reminds me of something my first love once asked me...why settle for less, when you know you deserve better?

No comments: