Wednesday, May 21, 2008



The pressure of survival in the big city will make you lose sight of your dream...hang in there. - De La Vega




It's taken me a while but I've finally lost my 'writer's procrastination' and suddenly after months of silence the characters in my head have started speaking again, all vying for room in the que of my creative space so whenever i'm writing it pours out like rain onto the page. For a while it was as though I didn't have the patience to write anything more than journal entries. I'd sit in front of the laptop, curser blinking, page blank. For the first three months of the year I rarely found the energy to even pick up the lap top. I was much more inclined to pick up my coloring books and color for hours as I sat on my sofa and simultaneously watched reruns of Flavor of Love and Project Runway. Don't laugh, there's something very therapudic about coloring. Ask my cousin Lawanna or her granddaughter Zaria, they'll tell you.

I slid back into writing as easily and effortlessly as I left it. One night I reached for my coloring box and a character from the new book I'm working on said 'not tonight...it's my turn'. I obliged and a month down the line I'm still in this mode. It's a wonderful feeling to be back. New York City has away of putting and then keeping you on the grind for extended periods of time and unfortunately when you put all your energy towards capitalistic gain you most often sacrifice any creative outlets that could use the energy. As it now seems the universe is pulling for me to write, my circumstances are becoming ever more conducive to a creative frame of mind. Thank goodness!


On another note... Isn't it nice when you run into people you haven't seen in ages. A friend of mine who has written numerous books including the one to the right was recently in Harlem and I had the pleasure of giving him a surprise visit. It's been years since I've seen or talked to him and so I briefly thought that he could have possibly forgotten me. Gladly, I was wrong. Our reunion was full of big smiles, tight hugs and keep in touches. Michael Eric Dyson is one of those rare individuals who has the ability to remain relevant to both young and old, educated and not. He's truly anointed with the gift of speak! I've yet to read his book but plan on taking it with me to Aruba to read as I lay out on it's beautiful beaches!

No comments: